This Rollatini recipe is not only perfect for entertaining guests or a cozy home date night but is also simple enough for a weeknight meal. Tender chicken breasts are sliced and then filled with Italian ham, provolone cheese, and broccoli rabe, all enveloped in a delicious marinara sauce. After one bite, you’ll fall in love with this recipe.
If you’re a fan of Italian ham recipes, be sure to try this fresh Green Bean recipe and this easy Italian Ham Wrapped Asparagus recipe.
Why Choose This Recipe
Rollatini is a classic Italian dish that’s easy to make and looks and tastes absolutely stunning.
Whether you’re hosting guests or having a casual family dinner, the combination of boneless chicken breast, flavorful Italian ham, cheese, and a tasty marinara sauce will have your family singing your culinary praises.
You can even prepare this dish ahead of time and bake it when you get home—effortless perfection.
Making this simple recipe requires a few kitchen tools. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this easy and family-friendly meal.
- Baking dish
- Cheese knife
- Saucepan – if making homemade marinara sauce
- Wooden toothpicks
- Meat thermometer
- Meat mallet or rolling pin
- Cutting board and sharp knives
This delicious recipe only requires some straightforward ingredients. Head to your local supermarket, and get ready to enjoy this easy and universally loved meal.
- Skinless, boneless chicken breasts or chicken cutlets
- Broccoli rabe
- Italian seasoning
- Italian ham
- Provolone cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Marinara sauce, canned or homemade
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Chopped fresh basil
Making this simple recipe is incredibly easy. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be enjoying a delicious and protein-packed meal for the whole family in no time.
Step 1: Make Marinara Sauce
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir constantly and sauté until fragrant.
Step 2: Add Tomatoes and Simmer
Stir in tomatoes, increase heat to high. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Pound and Season Chicken
Cut chicken in half (lengthwise). Pound sliced chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet.
Step 4: Season and Add Cheese and Ham
Season chicken with Italian seasoning. Place a slice of Italian ham and cheese on the chicken, followed by 2-3 pieces of broccoli rabe.
Step 5: Roll Chicken
Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
Step 6: Place Chicken in Baking Dish
Add 3/4 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of a 9″x13″ baking dish, then place the prepared chicken rolls on top of the sauce seams down.
Step 7: Pour Sauce Over Chicken
Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top.
Step 8: Bake Chicken
Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
I love pairing this delicious recipe with a simple salad, like this Greek Salad recipe. But you can also pair it with vegetable sides, such as these Garlic Cheese Roasted Green Beans.
Substitutes and Additions
Here are some tried-and-true substitutes to add some extra flair to this recipe.
- If you don’t have broccoli rabe, you can substitute with kale, spinach, or asparagus.
- You can also add some sun-dried tomatoes for an additional burst of flavor!
- Swap provolone cheese for a layer of ricotta or fresh mozzarella cheese.
- If you prefer a sweeter marinara sauce, you can add a teaspoon of sugar to the marinara.
- Storage: This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Reheating: Reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
Tips for Perfection
Here are some tips to ensure this recipe is perfect for you.
- If you want to save time in the kitchen, use a jarred sauce and thin chicken cutlets from the local supermarket.
- Using a double-sided meat mallet? Use the flat side instead of the tenderizing side.
- If you don’t have a meat mallet, place the chicken in a freezer bag or between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten with a rolling pin.
- For easy cleanup, spray the baking dish with some non-stick cooking spray.
Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner, this Rollatini recipe promises a delightful dining experience. Try it out, and I’m confident it’ll become a staple in your recipe collection!